Yeah, I’ve been trying to figure out how to intercept that call.  Maybe from a
plugin during initialization?

As you suggested, I have a splash screen that shows what datafile is being
opened, along with “Open other” and “Create new” buttons.  But like you said,
it is not an elegant solution.  Novice users don’t pay attention to what is
shown in the splash screen - they just assume that the data file they
double-clicked or dragged is the one that’s open.