I don't think there is any difference between what you call text and binary,
what you report sounds more like the difference between UTF-16 and UTF-8.

technically, the 2:1 ratio you describe is variable,
but I understand for all practical purposes in ASCII,
you could say that it is pretty much a constant.

a Unicode code-point in UTF-8 consumes up to 3 bytes (6 according to
specification),
and any single Unicode character (grapheme) can be a representation of 1 or
more code points.

so, for instance, text predominantly made of typical CJK
(Chinese-Japanese-Korean) characters
will take up 1.5 times more space in UTF-8 compared to UTF-16.

2017/07/10 12:40、David Adams via 4D_Tech
<4d_tech@lists.4d.com<mailto:4d_tech@lists.4d.com>> のメール:
So, with text, my export was 24.66GB and as text it was 12.35GB, nearly 50%
smaller.