Thanks for the people that answered "what has Postgres have to do with 4D"
so well.

Also, thanks for the advice on tools. My quick findings for desktop tools
(I didn't look at Web tools)

Valentina Studio
Surprisingly good and complete for a free tool. Design, admin, and data
browsing. The 'pro' version offers reporting features, etc. but the free
version is all I'll likely ever need.

Navicat 12
Hey! I like it better than Naviat 11. To each their own. If they don't have
a feature, it probably doesn't exist.

Postico
A simple design and browe tool. Looks nice. From the folks that put the
server together that Lee recommended. Postgres.app. I'm running that on OS
X (10.12.5) and it took only a couple of minutes to set up, just like it
said on the tin.

SQLPro for Postgres (no relation to Sequel Pro for MySQL.) A bit cheaper
than Postico (neither are expensive) and, it looked to me, a bit more
capable. Not for admin, but for design and browsing.

There are free trials available for all of the paid products.

External databases can really extend the usefulness of 4D, so it's great to
have tools available. I would, by preference, only use MySQL/MariaDB or
Postgres because Rob's plug-ins let us avoid ODBC. At this point, I'd
prefer Postgres because, well, it's just kind of mind-blowingly impressive
and well-supported by cloud-based stuff. In the whole MySQL vs. Postgres
conversation, I have never met anyone that picked Postgres and regretted
not using MySQL. The other way around? Yes. But plenty of MySQL users are
totally happy and have no regrets, so it's not worth leaving it if you like
it and it's working. But when starting from scratch, I'm going to vote for
Postgres.