here is a link about the cron jobs/scripts
http://thexlab.com/faqs/maintscripts.html

I do not really know what they do, only that they exist, I only quickly
scanned the article.
the article at the above link says they (may) run at 3:15am

of course, the underlying OS changed (Sierra to High Sierra),
existing anti-virus, or other things may interact differently -
especially if you did not update that software with the OS.

EX: -
where I work they run/use Sophos AV
under the OS we were running (10.6 - due to legacy applications),
Sophos thinks - maybe rightly so :) - that MS Office is a virus and
will not let it run. So we have had to get a different AV package
(Intego Virus Barrier)

On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 16:46:59 +0000, Perkins, Bradley D wrote:
> Chip,
>
> Except for the OS Upgrade nothing changed. This problem didn't exist
> under Sierra.
> The machine has  AV installed (IT policy mandates that too) but it
> has never been a problem in the past.
> I'm the only end user of the machine. As noted I do have a 3am job,
> but that has run fine in the past and doesn't cause problems when
> manually executed while 4D is running.
> What are the 'daily cleanup' routines that OS X runs? I'm assuming
> previous OS X versions did that too, but want to look into this.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brad
>
> On 10/27/17, 10:38 AM, "Chip Scheide" <4d_o...@pghrepository.org> wrote:
>
>     since it is at the same time -
>     There are a couple of possibilities:
>     - anti virus software (either update, or scan)
>     - cron job - specifically the daily 'cleanup' routines run by OS X
>     - some other specific timed action setup by(?) IT, the end user(s)?
>
>     Chip

Gas is for washing parts
Alcohol is for drinkin'
Nitromethane is for racing