Yesterday I found myself in need o dynamic Help Tips in list box cell cells, so
I downloaded and started working with v16R5 beta. The first thing that happened
is I started getting undefined errors. I think that unlike forever in 4D,
variables not defined either explicitly or implicitly, must be declared in
interpreted mode. Not sure but it looks like whatever the compiler would
complain about in this regardd, now throws an error when running interpreted.
For example…

        SET QUERY DESTINATION(Into variable;$zeroEntryFound)

If $zeroEntryFound is not typed with c_longint or zeroEntryFound:=aNumber you
will get a runtime error in interpreted mode.

I don’t have a problem with this as even though I do not deploy compiled, I
make it a habit to always make sure that the structure will compile before
deploying. I am wondering, however, if this is a step forward or backward. It
has made it difficult moving from R4 to R5.

I also ran into a typing error with the following when I opened a data file
where much of the data had not been entered yet…

      If (Not(OB Is defined([_Constants]ProjectTaskDescriptions)))
             [_Constants]ProjectTaskDescriptions:=New object

      End if

    [_Constants]ProjectTaskDescriptions.taskdescriptions:=$colTaskDiscriptions

The last line above throws an error saying that
[_Constants]ProjectTaskDescriptions is undefined. It worked in R4 where I first
populated the field, but after switching to R5 and opening a fresh datafile
where the field was not already populated, it threw the undefined error. I did
not pursue the issue as I reverted back to my populated data file, but this
looks like a bug to me. How then does one define an object field?

By the way. Dynamic Help Tips in List Boxes is really great! Very easy to
implement and is really slick in use.

John

John Baughman
Kailua, Hawaii