Miyako wrote that recently in a response to a question about a plugin and
what's expected. This is one of those things that needs to be written on
the wall next to "Think".

I googled the phrase because - well, of course I would.

This article
<https://www.cio.com/article/2448952/developer/10-bad-coding-practices-that-wreck-software-development-projects.html>
has a list of 10 things that lead to bad code. Many are applicable in 4D
land but this one really resonated with me:

Legendary programmer Donald Knuth once said, "Programmers waste enormous
amounts of time thinking about, or worrying about, the speed of noncritical
parts of their programs, and these attempts at efficiency actually have a
strong negative impact when debugging and maintenance are considered."

​This article <https://codeburst.io/good-code-vs-bad-code-35624b4e91bc> in
Codeburst says much the same but with more detail. ​It's also got a link to
a nice ReadMe template. Top takeaway -

Good code comments explain why things are done not what is done.

​Teambeacon
<https://techbeacon.com/35-bad-programming-habits-make-your-code-smell> has
a list of 35 habits that ​"make your code smell". #3 is about optimizations
(again) and quotes Knuth (again). Bottom line:

Improving the way you work through habits is a great way to avoid having to
think too much about every single situation. Once you’ve assimilated a good
way of doing something, it becomes effortless.

​Finally I'll cite this one
<https://medium.com/@CodementorIO/good-developers-vs-bad-developers-fe9d2d6b582b>
by Codementor which makes it more personal by looking at good vs bad
developers. I think all of us will recognize some part of ourselves in
there. I like the metric for determining code quality:

 WTFs/minute.

​OK, back to work cowboy. ​

--
Kirk Brooks
San Francisco, CA

*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
nothing.*

*- Edmund Burke*