receive buffer only accepts BLOB (unlike receive packet which respects use
character set)
and that the standard distribution of v16 on Mac is 64-bit and therefore forced
to run unicode mode,
so the tip to use non-unicode mode for receive buffer is no longer an option
(unless you select 4D 32-bit).

I have posted a cocoa-based serial client plugin for Mac 64-bit.

https://github.com/miyako/4d-plugin-serial

the parameters are different to native 4D commands,
for example,
all settings are expressed in JSON,
and incoming packets are processed by a callback method.
the callback method receives a user defined text,
which can be a JSON that allows you to identify the caller (window ref, worker
name, whatever).

In upgrading a client from v14 to v16.2 (Mac based), I’ve noticed that
RECEIVE PACKET has become very slow, whilst RECEIVE BUFFER works fine.
This is using serial comms with a scanner (via Keyspan adaptor).