the character set used for non-unicode mode is actually locale-specific,
but for most users it should be MacRoman (even on Windows).

the legacy internal character set (a.k.a. non-unicode mode) is "Mac" on both
platforms,
which is why the corresponding constant for TEXT TO BLOB is named "Mac text
without length"
(exception is the Japanese version, which uses a pair of special lookup tables)

if you want to be absolutely sure,
you could loop over all characters between 0x00 and 0xFF,
compare the byte values from blob-based receive packet passed to BLOB to text.