OK so for anybody's who's interested ...
It currently isn't possible to set these options in this way (i.e., when
creating a document entirely in code). A workaround would be to do
something like open a window containing a layout that contains a WritePro
area, apply the modifications to that area, and use that. Or manually
create a template that has the desired options.
I'm hoping that the required functionality will be added in an upcoming
release of Write Pro ...

Pat