Kirk,

According to 4D, the problem is due to the new cache design in v16. We've also
seen this on our servers that have a large amount of memory installed. We're
working with 4D on a solution to this. The problem, according to 4D, is that
the new cache manager allocates a lot of very small blocks of memory, as
opposed to always four very large blocks in v15 and earlier. When it comes time
to release some of the memory when cache is full, something goes wrong and
Windows takes a very long time to release all of these tiny blocks.

Three solutions:

1. Wait it out. If you open task manager you can watch the amount of memory
used by 4D slowly fall.  It will eventually come back to life and continue.

2. Add enough memory so that a cache purge is never necessary.

3. Allocate a fixed size cache that will handle the entire re-indexing
operation even though it will result in page file swapping. If you're on an
SSD, the swapping isn't so bad and will allow 4D to complete its indexing.
Once this is done, set your cache back to a normal value for your application.

Note that the same problem will happen in normal use if you fill the cache and
4D needs to purge some objects. This also happens sometimes when you try to
quit 4D Server.  4D has recommended that we set the percent of cache purge to a
small value in the database parameters, but I haven't tried this yet.  We bit
the bullet and installed enough memory in our server so that a cache purge will
never happen.

I know 4D is working with Microsoft on this. You might open a tech support case
so your voice can be added to ours.

--
Jeffrey Kain
jeffrey.k...@gmail.com