David,
What version of 4D are you using? If it's v15+, with respect to Chuck's
suggestion, I'd use HTTPS for the data transfers and JSON/c-objects. It's
pretty easy to write an API on the server side to manage such a request and
shuffle the data between the two endpoints. JSON is a lot easier to work
with than XML, I find.

If you are a SQL pro (I am not) then that's a perfectly viable option, but
it's not required.

On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 7:49 AM David Loeppky via 4D_Tech <
4d_tech@lists.4d.com> wrote:

> I have a standalone 4D application that needs to occasionally connect to
> our 4D Server to exchange some data.  Realizing there are a few different
> architecture approaches to take, I'd appreciate some advice as to the
> easiest way to approach this.  Thanks.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> David Loeppky