On May 15, 2018, at 2:00 PM, Charles Miller wrote:

> Thanks for your update. I assume you have a process on mirror that runs and
> delays itself for x amount of time. What happens if you try and create a
> second log but first has not been integrated. What do you do? Would you
> mind sharing code. I know it should be pretty simple, but I always would
> prefer not to re-invent the wheel. If so, can you email me privately.

Journal files that get created by the “New log file” command are automatically
named with a unique name. The name has the sequence number in it. Example:
Datafile[0004-0034].journal.

The first number between square brackets is related to the backup number. Each
time you do a BACKUP the first number get’s incremented. The second number gets
incremented with each call to “New log file”.

> What my plan is to get a directory listing and then sort by date created

It is not necessary to sort by create date. The journal files names are
designed and formatted so that you can sort by file name and always get the
oldest journal files first.

Create date can also be problematic because if you copy a group of files from
one server to another. Sometimes the create date and modify dates of files get
changed. Sometime not. I’ve not figured out exactly what triggers this
sometimes change to file creation/modification dates when coping between
machines.

No need to over complicate things. 4D designed the log file/mirroring system so
that you can rely on journal file names for sequencing and to ensure
uniqueness.

Tim

Tim Nevels
Innovative Solutions