Thank you both for the speedy replies!
Unfortunately this inherited application IS running in interpreted mode and
has hundreds of errors that would keep it from compiling.

As time permits we will occasionally revisit the compilation errors and
work towards a compiled version (but we have not made it there yet).
Consequently, Typing Generation and Syntax Checking both fail (since this
application had never been written with compilation as a goal)

Do you have any other suggestions?

Is is really 'that bad' to run in interpreted mode?
My original question was simply about the scoping of variable
initialization and form events in version 16.