It has been noted here that you can use the same data file between latter
versions of 4D like v15 to v16 and back.

So given the following scenario.

V15 version…

        [Table1]Fiield1- Data is stored outside the database in 4D default
external storage  folder
        [Table2]Field2 - Data is stored outside the database in 4D default
external storage folder

V16 version
        [Table1]Fiield1- Data is stored in the record
        [Table2]Field2 - Data is stored outside the database in a custom folder

I open the v15 data file with the new v16 structure and move the data with
APPLY YO SELECTION....
        [Table1]Fiield1- SET EXTERNAL DATA PATH( [Table1]Fiield1;0)  (trigger)
        [Table2]Field2 - SET EXTERNAL DATA PATH( [Table1]Fiield1;”Path to
custom folder”) & manually save the data (images) to the custom folder (trigger)

Move is complete and both fields are working as expected without the 4D default
external storage folder in the database folder.

OK, now for whatever reason we have to revert back to v15. Before opening the
updated v16 datafile with the v15 structure, I set [Table1]Fiield1 to be stored
in the record,  in the v15 structure. [Table2]Field2 does not need to be
changed as it remains Outside the data file as originally ste.

Will the data for these 2 fieilds be intact as established while in v16 when I
open the v16 data file with v15? Where is the external data path information
being stored, with the structure or with the data file?

        1. For  [Table1]Fiield1 I do not expect there to be any problem as the
data has been moved to in the record.

        2. [Table2]Field2, however, I am not so sure of. Will the v15 structure
know where the data is?

Just wondering,

John

John Baughman