I’ve spent the morning trying to track down why our database started crashing
when we quit 4D Server v16R6 on Mac OS…I haven’t tested yet to see if it
affects the Windows version as well.

I have tracked down 2 contributors to the crash.

        1) Calling SET MENU BAR during On Server Startup
                - this crash will occur in a test database with only this line
of code in the On Server Startup method

        2) opening a small window for showing progress messages during the
startup routine. Especially important while running internal data update
routines

We use the same STARTUP method for both a client’s On Startup method and
server’s On Startup method, putting checks for (Application Type = 4D Server)
in appropriate places to skip over some pieces of code not needed on the server.

So, item #1 is easy to fix by checking if I’m running on server or not.

Item #2, however, I need to solve a different way.

So the question to everyone here is: how to do you give feedback to the user
when starting up 4D Server?

My first attempt after this email is to move the current STARTUP method into a
stored procedure on the server using New Process to see if it just runs as is.

I just wanted to see what others might suggest as well.

This STARTUP method has been working fine through many versions of 4D and 4D
Server. I know every new version of 4D gets tighter and tighter in its behavior
and coding needs and I have to adapt. Not complaining. Just need to find out
how to get my code tighter. :-)

Randy

Randy Jaynes
Senior Programmer and Customer Support