Thanks, Tim. We use the "Current version:" setting to for all the
clients to update to the same version as the server.

What do you do about components? 4D POP is a good example. Those are
not distributed as source code, but rather compiled .4DC files. As far
as I can tell there are no v17 versions on the 4D website.

dave
On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 1:01 PM Timothy Penner via 4D_Tech
<4d_tech@lists.4d.com> wrote:

> Keep in mind that 4D QA does not test mixing and matching different versions
> of client and server - there are way too many permutations... QA only tests
> the same build of the client with the same build of the server. It is
> typically the expectation that the version of 4D Client will match 4D Server,
> although, it is only enforced when there are specific changes to the protocol.
>
> I think the following tech note explains the situation and provides code
> examples of how you can handle it via 4D code:
>
> Tech Note: Validation of Client Build Version
> http://kb.4d.com/assetid=77112
> PRODUCT: 4D Server | VERSION: 14.0 | PLATFORM: Mac & Win
> Published On: July 24, 2014
> This technical note will provide more insight on the changes between 4D
> releases and the difference and significance between the versions and build
> numbers. The code changes between different builds of 4D can cause errors and
> unexpected behaviors may occur when running mismatched builds between clients
> and servers. While 4D has a mechanism to prevent connection of mismatching
> Clients and Server, it isn't strongly enforced for builds of the same
> version. This Technical Note will also provide a technique and methods to
> address this problem.
>

> -Tim

David Nasralla
Clean Air Engineering