For conversion to and from doc/docx (pdf/html/rtf/etc.) we have been using an
external tool (with command line interface).
It does not require MS Word but you need to install the Office compatibility
library from MS (free).
It works well as service and is quite stable, the results are good enough for
us.
The tool is called Total Document Converter by CoolUtils.
Easy to find on the web.