So, I'm in the final phase of a v15 to v17.2 upgrade and eliminating/replacing
all the remaining _o_ prefixed obsolete 4D commands. I came across some Method
Editor behaviour that I totally didn't expect... btw, this is my very first
foray into using C_OBJECT and 4D commands that return objects!

Let me illustrate with the following very simple example:

C_OBJECT($object)

$object:=Path to object(Get 4D folder)

Now, when I type $object into the Method Editor, I expected the auto-completion
to show me available object properties such as parentFolder, name and extension
but it didn't. I then modified the code to:

$object:=New object
$object:=Path to object(Get 4D folder)

But that didn't yield anything more - I had assumed in the first example that
the 4D command would implicitly initialise the object internally. So, I have a
couple questions a this point:
* for 4D commands that return an object is object initialisation implicit or
must "New object" always be called first?
* is it the case that there is actually no auto-completion for 4D Commands that
return objects? That would be a real disappointment :((

Note that I also tested the above in a completely new 4D v17 database just in
case there was something up with a converted database. I also checked that the
auto-complete settings in Preferences were setup correctly - they are identical
in both the converted v17 and new v17 databases.

I also tested this example:

C_OBJECT($object1)
C_OBJECT($object2)

$object1:=New object
$object1:=Path to object(Get 4D folder)

$object2:=New object
$object2.foo:="foo"
$object2.bar:="bar"

In this case I get auto-completion of "object1.foo" as well as "object2.foo"
which is really not what I would expect at all! It seems to me that the Method
Editor is wholly indiscriminate about what the auto-completion options are!

What gives? Tell me I made a basic mistake somewhere?!

Regards,

Narinder Chandi,
ToolBox Systems Ltd.