Narinder,
I just pasted your example into a new db in 17.2 (Mac) and it worked as
expected.

I'd suggest dragging the $object var into the debugger pane. Though it
worked for me typing in the variable as well.

On Fri, Aug 2, 2019 at 9:41 AM Narinder Chandi via 4D_Tech <
4d_tech@lists.4d.com> wrote:

> So, I'm in the final phase of a v15 to v17.2 upgrade and
> eliminating/replacing all the remaining _o_ prefixed obsolete 4D commands.
> I came across some Method Editor behaviour that I totally didn't expect...
> btw, this is my very first foray into using C_OBJECT and 4D commands that
> return objects!
>
> Let me illustrate with the following very simple example:
>
> C_OBJECT($object)
>
> $object:=Path to object(Get 4D folder)
>
> Now, when I type $object into the Method Editor, I expected the
> auto-completion to show me available object properties such as
> parentFolder, name and extension but it didn't. I then modified the code to:
>
> $object:=New object
> $object:=Path to object(Get 4D folder)
>
> But that didn't yield anything more - I had assumed in the first example
> that the 4D command would implicitly initialise the object internally. So,
> I have a couple questions a this point:
> * for 4D commands that return an object is object initialisation implicit
> or must "New object" always be called first?
> * is it the case that there is actually no auto-completion for 4D Commands
> that return objects? That would be a real disappointment :((
>
> Note that I also tested the above in a completely new 4D v17 database just
> in case there was something up with a converted database. I also checked
> that the auto-complete settings in Preferences were setup correctly - they
> are identical in both the converted v17 and new v17 databases.
>
> I also tested this example:
>
> C_OBJECT($object1)
> C_OBJECT($object2)
>
> $object1:=New object
> $object1:=Path to object(Get 4D folder)
>
> $object2:=New object
> $object2.foo:="foo"
> $object2.bar:="bar"
>
> In this case I get auto-completion of "object1.foo" as well as
> "object2.foo" which is really not what I would expect at all! It seems to
> me that the Method Editor is wholly indiscriminate about what the
> auto-completion options are!
>
> What gives? Tell me I made a basic mistake somewhere?!
>
> Regards,
>
> Narinder Chandi,
> ToolBox Systems Ltd.
> --

Kirk Brooks
San Francisco, CA

What can be said, can be said clearly,
and what you can’t say, you should shut up about

*Wittgenstein and the Computer *