only speculating,  but maybe the intense creation of BLOBs is saturating or
fragmenting the 32-bit cache management of v15.

it seems like you don't really need to use a BLOB, you could simply call WRITE
PICTURE FILE
https://doc.4d.com/4Dv15/4D/15.6/WRITE-PICTURE-FILE.301-3818335.en.html

since you are on Mac, you could monitor the memory usage of 4D with Activity
Monitor.
I suspect it keeps on growing until a crash near 4GB.

perhaps you could launch a new process and export a few hundred records at a
time.
every time the process dies, maybe you would see that the memory usage returns
to normal.