4D has supported cross table queries since the introduction of the SQL
engine in V11.

Given a table of sales reps ("Managers") and a Territories table (not my
table name convention) that have a many to many table ManagerToTerritory,
the following code will find the territories for a given manager:

QUERY([Territories]; [Managers]ID=$managerID_T)

You can also use Query by formula. That command is very flexible and very
fast. Paraphrasing Thomas Maul on the Forum some years ago, you should be
using QbF if your search has two or more clauses.

The syntax is very SQL-like:
QUERY BY FORMULA([Proposals]; ([Proposals]ID=[Line_Items]Proposal_ID) &
(([Line_Items]Product_Code=$productCode_T)))
QUERY BY FORMULA([Proposals]; ([Documents]Tablenumber=22) &
([Documents]Record_ID=[Proposals]ID))

Add code like this to see how 4D is handling the query:

DESCRIBE QUERY EXECUTION(True)

*QRY_QueryPlanToClipboard*
DESCRIBE QUERY EXECUTION(False)

The code for *QRY_QueryPlanToClipboard*

//----------------------------------------------------
//User name (OS): dvonroeder
//Date and time: 08/21/14, 17:01:30
//----------------------------------------------------
//Method: QRY_QueryPlanToClipboard
//

C_TEXT($plan_T; $path_T)
$plan_T:="Query Plan"+Char(13)+Get last query plan(Description in text
format)

$path_T:="Query Path"+Char(13)+Get last query path(Description in text
format)

SET TEXT TO PASTEBOARD($plan_T+Char(13)+Char(13)+$path_T)

--
Douglas von Roeder
949-910-4084