From: a...@bitfolk.com
To: Robert McWilliam <r...@allmail.net>
Subject: Your BitFolk VPSes ("garioch", "finzean") need to be rebooted
for critical maintenance
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 02:30:04 +0000

Dear customer,

We've recently been made aware of a critical security issue in the
hypervisor software (Xen) which we use to provide your service. Fixing
this problem will require us to reboot our hosts and therefore all
customer VPSes must also be rebooted.

We must apply this fix to ensure the security and reliability both of
your VPSes and of our infrastructure, which is why we have no choice but
to proceed with this work as soon as we are able.

I understand that this will prove disruptive to you and that you would
prefer much more notice. In better circumstances we do provide more
notice and allow for deferrals or moving VPSes between hosts, but the
seriousness of these problems mean that we need to reboot everything as
soon as we are safely able.

Your VPSes have been assigned a maintenance window in which the reboots
will take place. The start of the maintenance window for each of your
VPSes is listed below, in UTC time zone. Each maintenance window is up
to 1 hour long, though the work should be completed much sooner than
this, typically within a few minutes (yay, SSDs!).

+-----------------+---------------+--------------------+
| Name            | Main IPv4     | Window start (UTC) |
+-----------------+---------------+--------------------+
|         garioch | 85.119.84.59  | 2016-07-25 01:00   |
|         finzean | 85.119.82.172 | 2016-07-25 00:00   |
+-----------------+---------------+--------------------+

At some point in each maintenance window your VPS will be cleanly shut
down. The host it is on will then be patched and rebooted, and then your
VPS will be brought up again.

You should ensure that your VPS and all its services start up correctly
on boot. We offer a free Nagios monitoring service which can help you to
know if your VPS and its services are working correctly. If you have not
done so already then you may want to get in touch with us to have this
set up. You can do that by replying to this email and describing which
services you would like monitored.

If you have any questions please reply to this email, which will open a
support ticket. Please note however that we cannot change the date or
time of the planned maintenance.

Best regards,
Andy Smith
BitFolk Ltd