On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 10:01:51AM +0000, Iain R. Learmonth wrote:
> Please note: items in the vortex of doom are not listed here as someone
> has already decided they should be trashed, you will have to check the
> vortex yourself if you want to see what is in there.
>
> As the vortex has not been regularly rotated, I would like to restart
> the rotation on the 2nd April. Any items that have not been claimed by
> the 2nd April will be thrown out *regardless* of when they were placed
> into the vortex.

I would like to object to that plan.

When the vortex was used previously it was for members to put in stuff
of their own that they didn't want anymore and wanted to give other
members a chance to claim before it was binned.

That doesn't look to be how it is being used at the moment: looks like
someone has moved all the space stock of network cables from the box
they were in to one of the vortex boxes. I don't know what other stuff
from the space I would like saved might have been moved to the vortex,
so I think current contents definitely need wider review before being
binned.

I don't think the vortex is an appropriate way to decide to dispose of
space owned stuff: it would be too easy to miss that something was being
binned.

As much as I too would like a clean and tidy hackspace the space isn't
useful as a hackspace if things like network cables are in danger of
being silently binned.

Specifically on network cables: please don't bin them. They are
definitely useful. If they don't spark joy with anyone else and the
space collectively really does want rid of them I'll take them away
rather than see them binned (even broken ones - I currently have a need
for "half" network cables to give RJ45 jacks hanging off a board).

Robert
Robert McWilliam     r...@allmail.net    argh.technology

If it were truly the thought that counted, a lot more women would be
pregnant.