rosea grammostola wrote:
> Robin Gareus wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I've just uploaded a linux 2.6.31-rt11 kernel to the 64studio
>> repositories. It's targeted for Intel Core Duo and Atom CPUs
> What if you have a pentium 4 (single core)?

It works ok for other Intel CPUs including single cores.

It's just that we at 64studio try to optimize the hell out of it, and
this one is optimized (but not limited) for said architectures.

I've also built a /generic/ i386 kernel (same .config but for different
CPU optimizations) . But I'm having some minor packaging problems in
order to release it:
ie. sharing the source package, package naming, including man 9 docs in
the kernel-man package. All Stuff that sounds trivial, but as I found
out the last week that it is actually not..  stay tuned.

An amd64 kernel image is also in the queue.

>>   sudo apt-get install linux-image-2.6.31-rt11-686-multimedia
>> kernel-headers and -sources are available from there as well.
>>
> Where do you need the sources for?

As Daniel said: GPL compliance. It allows you to have a look
(testing/debugging), modify and share it.

> This is compiled as module, does that mean it works out of the box (for
> a friend)?

just try it.

> Broadcom Corporation BCM43XX

It should. 95%.

4% that you need to load the module by hand (modprobe), or put it into
/etc/modules  (I've seen some US MSI netbooks, with an Atheros Wifi
which is supported by the ath5k driver, but the driver does not know it,
so it's not automatically loaded, yet)

1% that something went wrong :)

Give it a try. If not You can simply reboot into the old kernel call
 `dpkg -P linux-image-2.6.31-rt11-686-multimedia`

and tell us about it.

Cheers!,
robin