Jaromír Mikeš wrote:

> RG>  I've just uploaded a linux 2.6.31-rt11 kernel to the 64studio
>
> RG> repositories. It's targeted for Intel Core Duo and Atom CPUs and will be
>
> RG> the default kernel for the Indamixx distribution!
>
> RG> It's available from the
> RG>  deb http://apt.64studio.com/backports jaunty-backports main
> RG> repository via
>
> RG>  sudo apt-get install linux-image-2.6.31-rt11-686-multimedia
>
> RG> kernel-headers and -sources are available from there as well.
>
> RG> If you have not done so, you should also update to the latest rtirq-init
> RG> script. Note that 'rtirq-init' replaced the 'rtirq' package which is now
> RG> deprecated.
>
> JM> > thanks for your work.
> JM> > 2.6.31-rt11 is fine here with new  JACK 1.9.3 package
> JM> > Is anywhere 64bit linux-image version?
>

> RG> no, not yet.
> RG> Quentin Harley has used the source & .config - simply changed the ARCH
>
> RG> to amd64 and had good results.
> RG> I'm just about to build i386, i486 for 64studio and I hope to get access
> RG> to a 64bit machine on the weekend.
>
> That's great ... How can we (users) help with testing?
> Just use it and inform about possible problems?
>
> mira

Basically yes, boot it on as many different machines as possible and
check that all hardware is supported.

On the first boot you may want to disable the "quiet" and "splash"
options and look for warning messages during boot.

Some more general things to do:

Once booted, run:
  ps -eo pid,class,rtprio,pri,comm --sort -rtprio | grep "irq/"

(or run /etc/init.d/rtirq status) and check that your sound card has
elevated realtime prioritiy. eg:
       /--  class FIFO
       |       /-- realtime priority
       |       |
27880 FF      88 128 irq/17-HDA Inte
27881 FF      87 127 irq/17-ohci1394

[optionally] start `sudo latencytop`

Lower your volume, start jack, and do a simple stress test:
 for (( i=0;i<20;i+=1 )); do ( mplayer -ao jack somefile.wav & ) ; done;

see if there are any x-runs; jackd should not show up in latencytop or
only have minimal (<1ms) "waiting for CPU" there.

Launch a _big_ ardour session (> 20 Tracks - lots of disk I/O), fire up
jamin (lots of CPU) and connect them.

Use your wifi to surf over to the linux-rt-users mailing-list
subscription page and if you still have no x-runs, fire up your email
client and tell them many many thanks for their outstanding work. ;)

so long,
robin