On 10-10-07 06:33 AM, Daniel James wrote:
> Hi Will,
>
>> I would really like to see some development on 64studio.
>
> It's all behind the scenes at the moment. I'm bursting to give you all
> the news, but it's commercially confidential, probably for the next
> couple of months.
>
>> The bodge I'm currently using is a stripped down minimum debian
>> squeeze
>
> What's your opinion of squeeze as a platform? The level of breakage we
> get with the six-monthly Ubuntu releases is a real headache, especially
> for apps that haven't had a lot of love recently. It's making me
> nostalgic for the days when we built distros on top of Debian stable :-)

I am using squeeze for some embedded work.  I like it.  It remains to be
seen if Debian is able to keep to some sort of sane release schedule.

For 64Studio I still think that basing your release on the LTS makes the
most sense.  You have two years between each upgrade.  I view the 6
month releases as development releases, not suitable for mission critical.

> If squeeze had frozen on schedule, that would have been a point in its
> favour. Maybe quality and hard deadlines are just tough to reconcile
> though - something has to give.
>
>> with none of the gnome rubbish
>
> Some people like a desktop ;-)

I sometimes like a desktop, though I am not really happy with any of
them (Windows and MacOS included).