> Is there any way we could solve the current state of affairs

if that's the royal "we" you're using then sure, there is a way:
simply download the latest versions of all programs that you're
interested in unifying (p9p, drawterm, 9vx, acme-sac, inferno), merge
the osx drawing code (using the best solution available, which for
some things is 9vx, for others acme-sac, for thirds yet, p9p),
redistribute the new code to the respective maintainers and then track
each new release of the code (or periodically check) for changes to
redistribute.

the only reason you're not in the same mess with the X11 code is that
the base everyone cloned was mature.