> I also made a test doubling each partition's size (exept for nvram) and I
> ended up with some error that told me IIRC that for my large disc FAT16
> doesn't work out, so I would have to use FAT32. Trying to increment each
> partition lowly (starting from the default size) doesn't help either -
> moreover the error can even occur early with larger sizes. BTW the VMWare
> image has a size of 800MB (initially the image size was smaller) and the -
> default - partition sizes are the following:
> 9fat 100 MB
> nvram 512 Bytes
> fossil 200 MB
> swap 100 MB

i would imagine 200mb is too small, given the size of the current
dist.

you don't need to increase the size of 9fat, either and you
don't need a swap partition at all.  with 800mb i would partition
the disk like:

        9fat    20mb
        nvram   512 bytes
        fossil  700 mb

the only thing that usually goes in 9fat is the kernel, 9load and
plan9.ini.  i use a 10mb 9fat, but the kernels i use are 650k
compressed.