On Aug 1, 2008, at 11:37 AM, Steve Simon wrote:

OK, am I just out of date or is there a real reason for linker
sets?

I see it this way:

using linker sets means you have to learn and understand the linkers language to understand how the system is configured (when trying to track down a problem)

using a bit of script to generate some tables of C code you just need to
        know C.

This combined with the theroy that there is too much to learn and the less new stuff I need to learn to get a job done the better makes the choice easy (IMHO).

-Steve

Plus, linker sets are nonportable. I don't see 8l supporting them, so I don't think we'll be using them... but all the world uses GCC nowadays, so why bother with portability anymore?