No, that's not the UNIX philosophy. That's the X/Linux/GNU philosophy. Go
read "Program Design in the UNIX Environment" by Kernighan and Pike to
see what I mean.

Get educated. Don't you even know where X came from?

Just a funny idea: have you noticed that the "Kernighan, Pike, Ritchie, Thomspon" quartet always lacks two legs? Am I right on this one? There is K&R, K&P, and P&T. Have yet to see P&R, is there one?

In Plan 9, it's Alt t m, as three individual keystrokes. See keyboard(6)
to find out what your system would see as Alt.  You don't need to keep
the Alt held down. Now send yourself an email with Alt f a (the for all
character) and Alt * P (uppercase pi)

How about going back to four buckey bits, hacker? For your information, Pi is within ISO 8859, 8859-7 to be precise. Now you do one thing: enter a daleth, put one rafe above it--i.e. "דֿ"--, and tell me the result.

I do Windows. When I need to type in another language--and I often need that for three languages--I press [Alt]+[Shift] and I get the keyboard layout for that language. The right scan codes go to the right characters codes which in turn go to the right glyphs for every major alphabet/script on Earth, including right-to-left scripts.

When I need a Unicode character out of the ordinary (like this one, "㊪") I press [Alt] and hold it, press [+] on numeric keypad once, then type in the hexadecimal code for that character. "Any" two-byte Unicode character. I learn the code out of Character Map from which I can get the character even more easily.

http://www.fileformat.info/tip/microsoft/enter_unicode.htm

Impressive. Someone learned something from us after all. (1985 -- when
did curl come out?)

"Us?" What is 1985? Your year of birth or Plan 9's or what?

cURL's author didn't need to learn from "you"--whoever your "you" denotes--to do a simple job.

Here's its history: http://curl.haxx.se/docs/history.html.

It began in 1997. Gopher support was removed soon after because Gopher is a dead (or dying?)protocol.

It would be about 75% shorter. And you can't just use the system calls.
libc is built around subroutines. In all, Rob Pike got connected to an IP
address in 2 lines of code compared to ~20 for sockets. ("The Good, The
Bad, and The Ugly")

When and where did Rob Pike do it? Didn't he incidentally leverage two (or more) additional abstraction layers over the network stack and the socket abstraction to achieve that?

I can "get connected to an IP address"--overlooking your glaring ignorance about the fact that on IP (Internet Protocol) machines "connect" to _endpoints_ not "IP addresses"--in a one liner on Microsoft .NET framework. Nevertheless, that doesn't make .NET framework my platform of choice for programming. Boast it when you can _do_ it. Whatever I tell you I _can_ do, I _can_ do. Whatever I _can't_ do, I keep to myself.

No comment.

"Thank you, again."