> But at least it means that the 'pwd' function returns a wrong answer
> _without_warning_ when the path is longer. I tried it. This is not a nice
> thing. Are these limitations listed in some document?

The pwd(1) utility has this limitation for simplicity. The getwd(2)
function and fd2path(2) syscall can work on arbitrary-sized buffers.
So, to overcome the limit, you have few choices:
 1) modify the pwd.c to allocate more memory; or
 2) bind not-so-long parts of your path to /n/something to construct a
namespace with shorter absolute paths; or
 3) blame the tree holders.

--
Best regards,
    Yaroslav.