> the same time. I thought Plan 9's approach eliminated that by keeping a
> distinct instance of the stack for each imported /net.

not quite.

referencing '#In' for the first time will cause the nth
ip stack to be created.  subsequent references do not create
a copy.

it's also important to note that import doesn't operate on
devices directly (except in the degnerate case of
'#D' for some device D).  import builds a new namespace
according to the recipie in /lib/namespace (cf. namepace(6))
on the importee. so /net references that namespace, not a device.
obviously '#t' still references a device on the importee.