On Wed, 2008-11-19 at 20:36 +0100, Francisco J Ballesteros wrote:
> The point is that you need a way for the chan to know how to reach the
> file server.

That is a larger point here, indeed. However, my question was a simpler
one: is there any reason to show '#s/sutff' at all? Could I ever be
interested in the "proxy" as opposed to the name of the actual Chan?

Ok, I can understand why devproc.c does it: it is easy to discover the
name of the actual Chan if you know the node in /srv:
   fd = open("#s/stuff", OREAD);
   fd2chan(fd, buf, sizeof(buf));
   close(fd);
but not the other way around. Buit why ns(1) doesn't have the above
code?

> To make a long story short, following conventions so that the name space
> was not too twisted made things easier for us. By looking to waht fd2path
> says we could always go to /n/blah/... or recognize that the path
> came from a particular device.
>
> BTW, I´d love to hear other experiences regarding ns or path reconstruction.

Me too.

Thanks,
Roman.