On Tue, 2008-12-02 at 14:29 -0500, erik quanstrom wrote:
> >> i would think that either you want encapsulation or you don't.
> >> see-through encapsulation would seem to me to be a contradiction
> >> in terms.
> >
> > Thanks for the feedback. Lets see if you change your mind after the
> > explanation given above.
>
> nope.  sorry.  i would hate to see such a botch in plan 9.
> if you want to distribute load by having multiple fs, then
> it should be done so that the client wouldn't know or care
> that any distribution is going on.

I think you're deliberately exaggerating here. You must
know full well, that the client is *not* affected by that
knowledge when everything works as expected(*), which would
be in 99% of the cases (at lest here within Sun's intranet).
And the fact that this knowledge can be easily obtained makes
that 1% bearable.

That said, thanks for the feedback anyway. I consider this
thread closed expect for that one question I asked Russ.

Thanks,
Roman.

P.S. I've seen this disbelief in the fact that automoter + NFS
actually can be really convenient mostly come from Linux people.
Which is not surprising given how crappy autofs and NFS are
implemented there.