On Thu, 2008-12-04 at 02:39 -0500, Dave Eckhardt wrote:
> > P.S. I've seen this disbelief in the fact that automoter + NFS
> > actually can be really convenient mostly come from Linux people.
>
> Perspective depends on experience.
>
> AFS has its warts, but, trust me, if you've used it for a while,
> you will not find yourself excitedly perusing the volume location
> database to see where your bits are coming from.  In fact, you
> generally will not notice when your volume moves from one server
> to another, even if you are reading from and writing to it at
> the time.

This is an interesting point. At some distant point in the past
(last century, actually) I was drawn to AFS because of the features,
but left in horror because of the complexity.

I guess it doesn't really matter if your environment is being managed
by a good IT -- you just reap the benefits. But as a tinkerer,
I wouldn't call AFS malleable.

Thanks,
Roman.