On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 20:02 +0100, Uriel wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 2:43 AM, Roman V. Shaposhnik <r...@sun.com> wrote:
> > Sure, but I can't really use venti  without using
> > fossil (again: we are talking about a typical setup
> > here not something like vac/vacfs), can I?
> >
> > If I can NOT than fossil becomes a weak link that
> > can let corrupted data go undetected all the way
> > to a venti store.
>
> Fossil has always been a weak link, and probably will always be until
> somebody replaces it. There was some idea of replacing it with a
> version of ken's fs that uses a venti backend...
>
> Venti's rock solid design is the only thing that makes fossil
> minimally tolerable despite its usual tendency of stepping on its hair
> and falling on his face.

After spending sometime reading the sources and grokking fossil
I don't think it is a walking disaster. Far from it.

There are a couple of places where things can be improved,
to make *me* happier (YMMV), and I'll try to focus on these
in replying to Andrei's email. Just to get some closure on
this discussion.

Thanks,
Roman.