>From earlier in this thread:

"Sam and Acme use a simple, pure form of regular expressions. If they
had the counting operations, this would be a trivial task, but to add
them would open the door to the enormous, ill-conceived complexity of
(no longer) regular expressions as the open source community thinks of
them."

So, if you want counting, you can always write a patch, who knows, it
might even be accepted.

But I think that anyone not under the influence of psychedelic
substances that has suffered PCR, will agree we don't want to move in
that direction, and even if small, counting is a step in that
direction.

I personally rarely have use for it, and when I do, it is trivial to
write a script to generate the desired regexp, and I'm eternally
grateful for being free from Perl-induced psychosis.

uriel