On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 3:35 PM, J.R. Mauro <jrm8...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Amen. Linux is currently having a seriously hard time getting C/R
> working properly, just because of the issues you mention. The second
> you mix in non-local resources, things get pear-shaped.

it's not just non-local. It's local too.

you are on a node. you open /etc/hosts. You C/R to another node with
/etc/hosts open. What's that mean?

You are on a node. you open a file in a ramdisk. Other programs have
it open too. You are watching each other's writes. You C/R to another
node with the file open. What's that mean?

You are on a node. You have a pipe to a process on that node. You C/R
to another node. Are you still talking at the end?

And on and on. It's quite easy to get this stuff wrong. But true C/R
requires that you get it right. The only system that would get this
stuff mostly right that I ever used was Condor. (and, well the Apollo
I think got it too, but that was a ways back).

ron