On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 11:11 AM, erik quanstrom <quans...@quanstro.net> wrote:
> On Sat Apr 18 11:08:21 EDT 2009, rminn...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 6:50 AM, erik quanstrom <quans...@quanstro.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > in a plan 9 system, the only files that i can think of which many processes
>> > have open at the same time are log files, append-only files.  just
>> > reopening
>> > log file would solve the problem.
>>
>> you're not thinking in terms of parallel applications if you make this
>> statement.
>
> you're right.  i assume you specificly mean hpc things.  the gulf between hpc
> and anything else is pretty big.
>
> - erik

Not necessarily. There are plenty of files that a normal process run
by any user will access which, upon migrating to another node, will be
different or will need to be restored. I gave examples in my earlier
email.

It's *not* just an HPC problem. It's a problem when you want to be
able to move process around even two computers on a home LAN.