On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 1:52 PM, Bakul Shah<bakul+pl...@bitblocks.com> wrote:

> I should've mentioned this won't run on top of plan9 (or
> Unix).  What I really want is alt!  I brought up RPC but
> really, this is just Limbo's "chan of <type>" idea.  In the
> concurrent application where I want to use this, it would
> factor out a bunch of stuff and simplify communication.
>
> The chanconnect("<host>:<port>") syntax was to get the idea
> across.  A real building block might look something like
> this:
>
>        int fd = <get a pipe end to something somehow>
>        Chan c = fd2chan(fd, <marshalling functions>);

getting a pipe end to something somehow is why you really want to
leverage the namespace as a 9p file system.  <host>:<port> is really a
legacy concept that often locks you into a way of thinking or a
particular transport.  The typed channels (or for that matter file
system interfaces) is an interesting topic, and there have been some
folks thinking about it, but I'm not sure they are ready to share
their thoughts yet.

     -eric