On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 2:15 AM, Steve Simon<st...@quintile.net> wrote:
> As Anthony says it is very very old, but I might
> be fun if you had the time on your hands. The 2nd edition
> books/cdrom are nolonger available but you might find
> a set seccond hand (abebooks.com etc).
>
> The floppys are here:
> /n/sources/contrib/steve/historic/2nd-edition/pcdist/
>
> I found a complete mirror of the old 2nd edition site
> and I think uriel has copied it to cat-v.org.
>
> You will need 16Mb to install and 8Mb to run a terminal
> though It will work at 640x480x1 resolution.
>
> The 4th edition should run on a 486, though you will need
> (say) 128Mb of ram - much more if you want to recompile gs(1).
>
> -Steve

With a little help from FreeDOS, I am now successfully running 2e on a
66MHz 486 with 32 MB of RAM and little bitty hard drive (< 300 MB).
It's fun; on the surface, it's not a lot different, although 800x600x1
makes things interesting (I like it, actually... rio hacking time?).

I'd kill for the full CD, which I guess would have to go on my other
486, since I seem to recall that the full system needs 500 MB.
However, given licensing, I suppose it's out of reach for the time
being--anybody with experience in this sort of thing, is there a point
in time when it could be distributed freely, or will it be stuck in
the "You can't have 2e without a license, and you can't have a
license" state forever?

John
--
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing" -- Rob Pike