On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 11:45, ron minnich<rminn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I wonder how many of the companies involved still exist :-)

i suspect ron knows all this already; this is intended for anyone else
who comes along and thinks this might make getting 2e CDs out easier
(instead of harder). again, this is all from my memory, mostly from
discussions on 9fans. various people with more first-hand knowledge of
the situation have spoken on the subject in the past; check the
archives if you want a more definitive answer.

the relevant companies were Sun, NeXT, SGI, and MIPS.

One way or another, the Sun sources are available; i think, but am not
certain, that Sun was asked and said okay (but maybe the original NDA
just never had that sort of restriction). see extra/sun.tgz for the
results.

NeXT was acquired by Apple, who in legal terms became a successor
entity (while I haven't seen the NDAs in question, that or similar is
pretty standard language). While I was still at the Labs, word was
that someone in 1127 (named at the time, but I don't remember now)
with a good relationship with higher-up types there asked and was
summarily denied.

SGI bought MIPS, then spun them out again, but kept parts. No clear
successor organization, which makes it likely that it'd be far more
work on the part of SGI and/or MIPS to figure out who can even say
"yes". even if there is a clear answer, neither company seems like
they've got a lot of spare personnel to devote the the question.

SGI's own NDA is almost certainly with SGI (sorry: sgi). that's
probably the easiest of the three to deal with, if someone were
really, really inclined.

but really: don't be. these are kernels for very, very outdated
platforms, some of which even eBay has trouble turning up. cobbling
together a 2e-supported pc would no doubt be faster and cheaper - and
you could likely get beefier results out of the deal. none of the
described platforms even have modern equivalents in their line. sun
was probably the closest here, and we've got that already.

anyway, to ron's question, for those keeping score:
Sun: released their stuff; recently acquired by Oracle.
NeXT: acquired by Apple, ate it from within.
MIPS: acquired by SGI. a smaller MIPS was then spit out when SGI
realized Itanium was their future (oops).
SGI: went backrupt, twice, then acquired by Rackable before the whole
shebang was renamed sgi.
i was going to say that having Plan 9 ported to your platform seemed
like a bad omen for your company, but equally valid is the observation
that being a platform vender (other than Apple) is bad for your
company.