erik quanstrom wrote:
'export/import' applied to remote resources - especially 'scarce' or expensive ones (sound cards no longer are..) that could *send back* the results might make a better present-day example.

the resource i want is generally particuarly scarce;
there is often just one device that will do.

i often import the aoe device of a machine on a
storage network, for example.  i think thinking
that all doo-dads with capability x are equivalent
is a mistake, or a misunderstanding of "capability".

There you go.  A better example, IMNSHO, than SB16-equiv.

And there just *have to be* another dozen 'modern' examples lying about.. taken for granted by 9fans perhaps - but there's the rub...

Hiding a whole light-show under a bushel, if you will.

...meanwhile, other newcomers are involved in reinventing the networking, clustering, 'sharing' capability - and not necessarily all that well - that Plan9 started life with...

I'm well aware that 'marketing' Plan9 is not really on anyone's radar here .. but there could be a bit more done to convey the availability and value to the like-minded potential fellow-travelers [1]. One benefit might include more current device driver import/devel..

funny you should mention that.

- erik

Sad to say, all the drivers I have ever written were in octal, ASM, or LMI Forth (with ncc), so I'm not in any way 'current' myself.

But it IS a bit frustrating to see drivers available in one F/OSS OS (or variant) and not another, more especially as they are nearly always written in reasonably portable 'C' code these many years.

Reality is that the rate of introduction/change of hardware/silicon is too fast for any small - or even 'medium sized' team (FreeBSD for example) to keep up with on their own... and that gap is widening.

Bill