On Mon Jan 11 03:29:06 EST 2010, w...@hush.com wrote:
> >I recently built a new server out of an Intel Dualcore Atom
> >motherboard
> >(D945GCLF2D), it needs some kernel patches from Erik to get
> >everything to
> >work cleanly but it is now great. I added two 500Gb SATA disks
> >mirrored for storage.
>
> Interessting idea. Do you use a fossil only configuration and
> mirroring with fs(3)?
>
> Only are that there are only too two SATA ports. No space for
> extensions in the future.

i hate to disagree, but i would not recommend that motherboard.
perhaps i remember the pain of that motherboard more keenly.
or perhaps i do not remember all the fixes.  iirc, mp interrupts were
broken, among other things.

these products are *well* worth the extra cash.  you get 2 pcie
slots, 4 sata ports and a buch of other goodies for a few dollars
more.  also, if you can afford a few extra $, it makes sense to get
a sata cdrom.  mixing ide/ahci isn't much fun on ich7r.  you
can work around that with ftp://ftp.quanstro.net/other/9atom.iso.bz2.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=supermicro+atom&x=0&y=0