I'd like
something where I could look at a list of components for an entire
Plan 9 compatible machine, or see if anybody else is still using
component X.

John

If it's been thrown in the trash, it should work great!

I mean that as a slur against the upgrade cycle rather than Plan9, I have a pile of PIIIs that run Plan9 great.

I've had problems with Qemu recently, I went back to v. 0.8

That said, I've used Proxmox with great success on modern VT enabled chips

http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Main_Page

It lets you run some OSes in VT mode alongside Qemu instances. The virtual networking is brill too, each VM gets it's own IP like it was a machine on the LAN, no messing about with port redirection.