On Mar 29, 2010, at 3:29 PM, Georg Lehner wrote:

Patrick Kelly wrote:
[..] In my opinion, package managers are only a solution for systems that are already a mess. I've said it before, I downright hate Windows, but it gets
by just fine without a package manager; Just install and uninstall
'scripts'. Those scripts wouldn't even need to be necessary on Plan 9, or any system that doesn't maliciously abuse a central configuration system. [..]
As a MS-Windows end user one gets inevitably to know that a 'Windows Installer' is required to install new Software and that there are some rules all well behaved "packages" abide, since an installed application is made visible in the start menu and uninstallable via the control panel. There is more to Windows 'package managment' then 'scripts' - there are rules, conventions.

Which tend to be ignored, after all the registry might be abused at a higher rate than some illegal drugs. At any rate, the installer does little more than extract the files, possibly add some registry keys, and create an uninstaller. Certain, although few, programs also add a line to %PATH%.

I've seem less sane management systems.

Security is still to be desired though, on the bright side, Singularity had some nice sides, and "Midori" could be promising if Balmer... never mind.

It seems to me, that a few more scripts, conventions and rules for system, contrib and third-party applications will ease setting up and administering Plan9 systems.

A few scripts, should they be deemed necessary, might not be a bad idea. Only assuming they are actually deemed necessary. As of right now, I'm not aware of anything that complex, may be someone else is.

I am very greatful to Federico G. Benavento for implementing contrib and really looking forward for Anthony Sorace's experience with third-party packages installed
in /opt in Inferno.

This thread also has given some very good examples and insight on how the proven
Plan9'ers get their work done - thanks for the lessons learned.

Yes, I might gather up all of the information and combine it in some way for future reference for the negligent. Anyone who wishes to learn about sane management could benefit from it as well.

The solution that feels 'right' will inevitable emerge and this thread has surely been a step
forward in the right direction.

At least we discussed it. I feel confident that very little, if any, changes need to be made to the existing system.

Best Regards,

  Jorge-León