On Mon Apr  5 05:21:57 EDT 2010, 9f...@hamnavoe.com wrote:
> > i've had a core i7 machine for some time with 4c/8t.
> > unfortunately, the mp table has only 4 processor entries.
>
> My impression is that mp tables are getting worse and worse on new
> hardware because vendors assume everyone is running an acpi-aware OS.

it's not clear to me that's it's not just general low
quality, especially with board-specific bits like mp
tables.  z.B. if you look at the smb on the typicall mb,
it's amazing how much of it is broken.  i've had
good luck though with some vendors, though.

also, i wonder if not all the threads are in the mp
table due to format limitations.  the traditional i/o
apic format is 32 bits and uses (1<<apicno)<<24
as the vector for the cpu apics so my i7 board has
the vectors arranged the only way they could be to
give use of all 8 cpus.  i suppose i'm out of luck for
a xeon-ex with 16t unless i do something about x2apic.