> >> My impression is that mp
> tables are getting worse and worse on new
> >> hardware because vendors assume everyone is
> running an acpi-aware OS.
> >
> > it's not clear to me that's it's not just general low
> > quality,
>
> Does that imply that we can expect the acpi tables to be
> often
> incorrect too?  That would be disappointing.

Well, they are bad enough that FreeBSD (and I assume
others) gives you a way of overriding the one provided
by the vendor.  There are collections of fixed ACPI
tables for various machines out there.

Just to make life more "interesting," there's something
flakey about FreeBSD's access of the table in my HP
laptop.  About half the time it boots up and reads the
table happily.  The other half, it will continually
complain that there's something wrong with the table.

BLS