On Monday 26 April 2010 06:06:11 erik quanstrom wrote:
> > I'd prefer not to narrowly frame things in terms of my own personal
> > needs.
>
> that kind of thinking made linux what it is today.

You can quit being obstinate now, the threat has been eliminated - sleep
soundly, knowing that Plan 9 is once again safe... from being turned into...
linux?

The. mind. reels.

> > Despite my best efforts, I'm still seeing folks inferring or projecting
> > the following fallacies:
> >
> > * I'm being a troll who's objective is to embroil people in arguments
> > * I'm being a motormouth who wants nothing more than to gab on and on
> > * I'm trying/hoping to change 9fans culture in my own image
> > * I'm trying/hoping to change Plan 9 'proper' according to my own notions
> > * I'm trying/hoping to convince other people to do work on my behalf
>
> i believe in duck typing.

Is this your sad attempt at leaving a snarky hook?

Your implementation automatically treats all but a very narrow and somewhat
arbitrary set of values as type Troll.That's the problem with duck typing.
Better to have a message outright fail than to have it interpreted and applied
incorrectly. Sounds like you could benefit from some unit tests.

The problem is that in this case there's a massive bug in your program logic -
your knee_jerk_reaction(), tunnel_vision() and dogma() methods appear
hardcoded somewhere to intercept and override  all messages that would be
better handled by your benefit_of_the_doubt() or think_rationally() methods.

No doubt we can play insult-one-another-via-programming-analogy ping-pong
all day long, but I'm done with this thread, and the subject in general: the
vocal minority who have taken it upon themselves to purposefully sabotage
communication have finally become impossible to tolerate.