On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 9:57 PM, Akshat Kumar
<aku...@mail.nanosouffle.net> wrote:

> http://9grid.net/rminnich/src/package-tools/install

no, it's not there, as I am not yet satisified with the right way to do this.

> - instead, there is a straight dircp.

yes.

> So, is this a thing you're developing personally?

no, what you see is what I've got right now.

It actually works quite well, and probably I should just create a
/installed directory, but that
was actually an afterthought. What do you recommend?

> In consideration of your bind idea,

remember: unimplemented because I could not quite get it to work.

Example: I mount python.iso and do an Aki rbind -ra of /n/python/root /
Well ... it just didn't want to work, somehow, although I forget why.
I punted at that
point and did the dircp, I just ran out of time.

>I think you
> can go a little further: the /installed/$i file on
> disk can contain info for binding the installed
> package onto /. Then, the /installed/$i file
> resulting from the binds can contain removal
> procedures.
>
> I'm not sure what would be the most comfortable
> from a use perspective, but it's an idea....

I think it's worth trying out. I just don't have the time right now.

So, if we just go with the dircp approach, and copy the files in, what
I hear is missing so far:
- I don't put the installed info into /installed; should I just go
ahead and fix that?
 What else?

ron